• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Comments


It is very hard for all of us in Formula 1 to grasp the magnitude of Jules Bianchi's death last week.
Many of us attended Jules's funeral in Nice on Tuesday, so it is all so clear in our minds as we arrive in Hungary this weekend for the final race before the summer break.
This year was already hard knowing Jules, who was a racer like all of us, was in hospital. We knew how serious his condition was, but obviously you were always hoping that he would pull through.
So to have heard that he is no longer with us; well, it is hard to believe in this day and age.
In my lifetime, three drivers' deaths have had a big impact on me. The first was Ayrton Senna back in 1994, when I was nine. Then later that year I saw a boy I knew called Daniel Spence die in karting. And now Jules.
Jules's funeral reminded me very much of Daniel's, the all-pervading feeling of sadness and loss. It was heartbreaking to see his family and friends in tears, hurting so much, and just knowing that they are going through the worst possible time.
Jules will be in all of our thoughts this weekend in Hungary but we will go out and race hard for him because, like him, we are all racers. That's what we do, what Jules did, and what he would want us to do.

Carrying on as normal, despite the shock

When someone is lost like that, of course it is a shock, but there is no question in my mind about carrying on in racing, no doubts about getting back in the car.
I have no fear. I'll just get in and drive like I always do - you can't let things like that affect you. And it will make no difference to my focus and commitment.
I am going to Hungary with the intention to win and to extend my championship lead, as always.
Hungary marks the halfway point of the season and I have to say that, from the perspective of my racing, it has been a pretty awesome year so far.

Categories:

Leave a Reply